Friday 3 September 2010

SD Gundam

SD Gundam is cute little robots created by Bandai the large toy company from Japan. Gundam is a science-fiction, animation series from Japan and story is rather complicated and appealed to more older audience rather than small and younger kids. Cartoon with war and political theme. It's about a rich royal family up in space created an empire called Zeon and decided to take over the whole world both the outer space and the earth. Earthlings are opposed to Zeon and fight against them and they are called Earth Federation. That's it really and I haven't really pay much attentions to character's drama side and only interested in robot fights. Rather more like War Machine (Not the one from Ironman!). So anyways let's get back to main subject.

Bandai owns Gundam franchise so they created this SD thing. SD stands for Super Deformed. Deform means to change. They just created these Gundam robots to extremely small cuddly characters. First it was designed by an illustrator called Koji Yokoi and also Susumi Imaishi. I used to like the Yokoi's illustrations because he was the originator and I was reading his comics on monthly BombBomb magazine. But now I prefer Imaishi's illustration because he's technically better illustrator and well detailed and well drawn. So with bit of time opinion changes. Also the toys were better quality with Imaishi's drawings.

This SD was so popular many cartoon and live-action characters were turned into Super Deformed format. SD Gundam was the most popular and it was massive back in late 80's to early 90's. Don't know too much from mid 90's cos I wasn't in Japan then. I literally had hundreds of SD Gundam toys and cards. As I get older I took interest in proper original cartoons instead of these little cute ones.

I decided to write about it cos I occasionally play games about SD Gundam.

I will leave a picture here and you'll get an idea!

No comments: